Conservative management of mandibular fracture with maxillomandibular fixation using orthodontic brackets and elastics: A case report
Mandibular fracture is the most common facial skeletal injury in pediatric population seen in hospital setting. Fracture management is complicated by the developing permanent tooth buds and continuous mandibular growth. However, healing capacity in children is faster. Hence, conservative management is most often the treatment of choice for bone fractures in children. This case report is about a 6-year-old female child who sustained mandibular fracture after a road traffic accident (RTA) which was conservatively managed with maxillomandibular fixation using brackets and elastics. Orthodontic brackets were placed on facial aspect of posterior teeth of both the arches and elastics were used for traction leading to immobilization and stabilization of fracture. Healing was uneventful with complete bony union as evident by three months follow up orthopantomogram. Maxillomandibular fixation using brackets and elastics is a simple and non-invasive closed fracture reduction technique giving excellent result. The present case report showed successful outcome of mandibular fracture management.
Keywords: Closed Fracture Reduction; Maxillomandibular Fixation; Mandibular Fractures
- Vyas RM, Dickinson BP, Wasson KL, Roostaeian J, Bradley JP. Pediatric facial fractures: Current national incidence, distribution, and health care resource use. J Craniofac Surg 2008;19:339–349
- Mukhopadhyay S. A retrospective study of mandibular fractures in children. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2018;44:269–274
- Lida S, Matsuya T. Paediatric maxillofacial fractures: Their aetiological characters and fracture patterns. J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg 2002;30:237–241
- Elgehani RA, Orafi MI. Incidence of mandibular fractures in Eastern part of Libya. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2009;14:529–532
- Wolfswinkel EM, Weathers WM, Wirthlin JO, Monson LA, Hollier LH, Khechoyan DY. Management of Pediatric Mandible Fractures. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2013;46:791–806
- Crean SJ, Sivarajasingam V, Fardy MJ. Conservative approach in the management of mandibular fractures in the early dentition phase. A case report and review of the literature. Int J Paediatr Dent 2000;10:229–233
- Aboelgheit M. Management of mandibular fracture in pediatric patient: A case report. Asian Pacific J Heal Sci 2017;4:81–83
- Sanu OO, Ayodele AOS, Akeredolu MO. Management of pediatric mandibular fracture using orthodontic vacuum-formed thermoplastic splint: A case report and review of literature. Niger J Clin Pract 2017;20:637–641
- Gawelin PJE, Thor ALI. Conservative treatment of paediatric mandibular fracture by the use of orthodontic appliance and rubber elastics: Report of a case. Dent Traumatol 2005;21:57–59
- Zimmermann CE, Troulis MJ, Kaban LB. Pediatric facial fractures: Recent advances in prevention, diagnosis and management. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006;35:2–13
- Mihailova H. Classifications of Mandibular Fractures – Review. J of IMAB. 2006;12:3–5
- Gassner R, Tuli T, Hächl O, Rudisch A, Ulmer H. Cranio-maxillofacial trauma: A 10 year review of 9543 cases with 21 067 injuries. J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg 2003;31:51–61
- Aizenbud D, Hazan-Molina H, Emodi O, Rachmiel A. The management of mandibular body fractures in young children. Dent Traumatol 2009;25:565–570
- Kaya CD, Kaya D, Kocadereli İ, Akcan AC, Surgery AR. Use of Acrylic Occlusal Splint and Direct Bonded Brackets for Intermaxillary Fixation in the Treatment of Unilateral Parasymphyseal and Condylar Fractures: a Case Report. Clin Dent Res 2013;37:46–50.
- Pandey R, Khatri A, Gupta R, Bhagat N. Use of orthodontic brackets for intermaxillary fixation for management of mandibular fracture in a pediatric patient. J Dent Allied Sci 2017;6:35-39 16. Madhusudhan KS. Orthodontic Brackets As Intermaxillary Fixation: A Case Report. J Pediatr Oral Heal Res 2017;1:16–19
Contemp Pediatr Dent 2020:1(1):52-56
Received: 15 October 2020
Accepted: 24 November 2020
Online First: 15 December 2020
How to Cite
Alina Rai, Mamta Dali, Sneha Shrestha, Pradeep Acharya. Conservative management of mandibular fracture with maxillomandibular fixation using orthodontic brackets and elastics: A case report. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2020:1(1):52-56.