Morphological variations of mandibular sigmoid notch in children aged 4-14 years
This study will help pediatric dentists to identify different variations in the morphology of mandibular sigmoid notch.
The information about morphological variations of the mandibular sigmoid notch obtained would allow a maxillofacial surgeon to treat chronic mandibular dislocations properly.
The information regarding different shapes of sigmoid notch is useful in forensic sciences based on the influence of transition from primary to permanent dentition.
Aim: The sigmoid notch additionally known as the mandibular notch is a deep notch setting apart the coronoid process and the condyle. Different morphological variations of sigmoid notch (wide, round and sloping) have been documented in literature as indispensable aids in anthropological and forensic research. The study aimed to assess the morphological appearance of sigmoid notch during primary dentition, mixed dentition and permanent dentition. Methods: 400 panoramic images of 194 boys and 296 girls were collected and divided into three groups bases on the stage of dentition. Shape of the sigmoid notch was determined by tracing the print out of the panoramic image on an x-ray viewer. Results: It was observed that during primary and mixed dentition stage shape of the sigmoid notch was wide and as growth and development occured during permanent dentition stage the sigmoid notch shape changed to round. Conclusions: This study describes the normal morphology of mandibular sigmoid notch in children during primary, mixed and permanent dentition and also states that growth of craniofacial region has a significant role in determining sigmoid notch morphology.
Keywords: Mandible; Panoramic Radiography; Sigmoid Notch
- Gupta S. Tapas. Morphological variations of coronoid process in dry adult human mandibles. Ind J Basic Appl Med Res 2014;3:401-405
- S. Shakya, R. Ongole, S.K. Nagraj. Morphology of coronoid process and sigmoid notch in orthopantomograms of south indian population World J Dent 2013;4:1-3
- Saad AM, Abd-alla MAJM. Mandibular notch configuration in Iraqi adults. Tikrit J Dent Sci 2012; 2:175-178.
- Bhuyan R, Mohanty S, Bhuyan SK, Pati A, Priyadarshini S, Das P. Panoramic radiograph as a forensic aid in age and gender estimation: Preliminary retrospective study. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2018;22:266-270
- Kasat PA, Bhuiyan PS. A study on coronoid process of the dry adult human mandibles. J Anat Soc India 2016;65:9–14
- Al-Saedi AI, Al-Taee R, Al-Jasim NH, Al-Bakhakh B. A panoramic study of the morphology of mandibular condyle in a sample of population from Basrah city. Int J Morphol. 2020;38:1707–1712
- Chaudhary S, Srivastava D, Jaetli V, Tirth A. Evaluation of condylar morphology using panoramic radiography in normal adult population. Int J Sci Stud 2015;2:164-168
- Naryanan K, Nayak SR, Prashanthi N. Morphology of lingual, coronoid process and mandibular notch in Indian dry mandibles. Folia Anat 2004;31:13-16
- Sundfeld DS, Sudhakara R, Teja DVD, Koneru J, Praveen KNS, Sruthi R. Reveal the concealed – Morphological variations of the coronoid process, condyle and sigmoid notch in personal identification. Egypt J Forensic Sci 2015;6:108-113
- Ashwinirani SR, Snehal T Patil, Bhavana Nair, Yogari Rajmane and Kamala KA. Morphological variations of condylar process and sigmoid notch using Orthopantomograms in Western part of Maharashtra population. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2018;4:160-163
- Manoj M, Mathew L, Natarajan S, Yellapurkar S, Shetty S, Denny C, Dahal S. Morphometric anlaysis of mandibular coronoid, condyle and sigmoid shape using panoromic view for personal identification in south Indian population. J Clin Imaging Sci 2022;5;12:25.
- Kanjani V, Kalyani P, Patwa N, Sharma V. Morphometric variations in sigmoid notch and condyle of mandible: A retrospective fprensic digital analysis in North Indian population. Arch Med Health Sci 2020;8;31-34
- Shazia Maqbool, Bashir Ahmad Wani, Altaf Hussain Chalkoo, Prenika Sharma. Morphological Assessment of Variations of Condylar Head And Sigmoid Notch on Orthopantomograms of Kashmiri Population. Int J Recent Sci Res 2018; 9: 29162-29165
- Tassoker M, Didem AK, Akin D, Sener S. Evaluation of mandibular notch, coronoid process, and mandibular condyleconfigurations with cone beam computed tomography. Biomed Res 2017;28: 8327-8335
- Hegde R, Shigli A, Gawali P, Krishnan A, Jadhav G, Raheja S. Morphological variations of the condylar head among children aged 4–15 years: A panoramic study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2021;39:353-358
Contemp Pediatr Dent 2022:3(3):125-133
Received: 21 October 2022
Accepted: 07 December 2022
Online First: 29 December 2022
How to Cite
Rahul Hegde, Anand Shigli, Pritesh Gawali. Morphological variations of mandibular sigmoid notch in children aged 4-14 years. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2022:3(3):125-133.