Plausible predicament in emergency endodontic rehabilitation of a child with sturge-weber syndrome: A case report
Sturge–Weber syndrome (SWS) is a developmental disorder portrayed by a triad of unilateral capillary malformation, leptomeningeal hemangioma, and secondary glaucoma.
This case report observes SWS in a child with acute periapical abscess requiring emergency intervention and observation of typical port wine lesion intraorally.
The patient had a full mouth rehabilitation preceded by emergency endodontic intervention.
Sturge–Weber Syndrome (SWS) is a neuro-oculo-cutaneous vascular disorder that includes leptomeningeal hemangioma and port wine stains, usually ipsilaterally, with ocular manifestations and extended lesions over the oral cavity. It is an embryonic developmental disorder affecting both mesodermal and ectodermal germ layers, associated with somatic mutation of gene GNAQ. It has a sporadic occurrence of 1:50,000 and no gender predilection. This case report added to the knowledge and understanding of systematic rehabilitation of a child patient with SWS and its associated risk factors in an emergency scenario. A 3.5-year-old girl child with a known diagnosis of SWS presented abscess over the right lower mandibular deciduous teeth and distinct oral features of SWS, requiring emergency endodontic intervention, followed by full mouth rehabilitation. Thus, an in-depth knowledge of the clinical state that helps in the expert assessment of dental interventions, including emotional co-regulation in those children, is essential.
Keywords: Angiomatosis; Endodontics; Port Wine Stain; Syndrome
- Higueros E, Roe E, Granell E, Baselga E.Sturge-Weber Syndrome: A Review. Síndrome deSturge-Weber: revisión. Actas Dermosifiliogr2017;108:407-417
- Nema N, Jain J, Porwal V. A rare presentationof bilateral Sturge-Weber syndrome. Oman JOphthalmol 2014;7:46-48
- Comi AM. Sturge-Weber syndrome. HandbClin Neurol 2015;132:157-168
- Luat AF, Juhász C, Loeb JA, Chugani HT,Falchek JS, Jain B et al. NeurologicalComplications of Sturge-Weber Syndrome:Current Status and Unmet Needs. Pediatr Neurol2019;98:31-38
- Sturge WA. A case of partial epilepsy,apparently due to a lesion of one of thevasomotor centres of the brain. Transactions ofthe Clinical Society of London. Clinical society ofLondon. 2nd end. London; Longsman Green;1879
- Weber FP. Right-sided hemi-hypertrophyresulting from right-sided congenital spastichemiplegia, with a morbid condition of the leftside of the brain, revealed by radiograms. J NeurolPsychopathol 1922;3:134-139
- Tripathi AK, Kumar V, Dwivedi R, Saimbi CS.Sturge-Weber syndrome: oral and extra-oralmanifestations. BMJ Case Rep2015:bcr2014207663
- Nguyen V, Hochman M, Mihm MC Jr, NelsonJS, Tan W. The Pathogenesis of Port Wine Stainand Sturge Weber Syndrome: ComplexInteractions between Genetic Alterations andAberrant MAPK and PI3K Activation. Int J MolSci 2019;20:2243-2249
- Singh AK, Keenaghan M. Sturge-WeberSyndrome. In: StatPearls [Internet]. TreasureIsland (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022
- Dayal PK, Shah ST, Dayal JP. Orofacialmanifestations of Sturge-Weber syndrome.Review with a case report. Indian J Dent Res1991;2:13-16
- Tan W, Wang J, Zhou F, Yin R, Liu H,Sukanthanag A, Wang G et al. Coexistence ofEph receptor B1 and ephrin B2 in port-wine stainendothelial progenitor cells contributes toclinicopathological vasculature dilatation. Br J Dermatol 2017;177:1601-1611
- Sudarsanam A, Ardern-Holmes SL. Sturge-Weber syndrome: from the past to thepresent. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2014;18:257-266
- Roach ES. Neurocutaneous syndromes.Pediatr Clin North Am 1992;39:591-620
- Maria BL, Neufeld JA, Rosainz LC. Centralnervous system structure and function in Sturge-Weber syndrome: evidence of neurologic andradiologic progression. J Child Neurol1998;13:606-618
- Gandhi M, Iyer H, Sehmbi H, Datir K.Anaesthetic management of a patient with sturge-weber syndrome undergoing oophorectomy.Indian J Anaesth 2009;53:64-67
- Garcia JC, Roach ES, McLean WT. Recurrentthrombotic deterioration in the Sturge-Webersyndrome. Childs Brain 1981;8:427-433
Contemp Pediatr Dent 2022:3(2):86-91
Received: 29 January 2022
Accepted: 18 July 2022
Online First: 05 August 2022
How to Cite
Amit Khatri, Namita Kalra, Rishi Tyagi, Khadeeja Kulood M, Mayank Sharma, Drishti Kaushal. Plausible predicament in emergency endodontic rehabilitation of a child with sturge-weber syndrome: A case report. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2022:3(2):86-91.