Surgical management of central giant cell granuloma of mandible and prosthetic rehabilitation in a nine year girl: A case report
Central giant cell granuloma (CGCG) is an uncommon, benign, idiopathic, osteolytic lesion of jaws, histologically characterized by multinucleated giant cells distributed in fibrovascular connective tissue stroma. Accurate diagnosis of the lesion is essential for the successful management and the prognosis of this locally destructive lesion. In this paper, a rare case of large destructive CGCG involving anterior region of mandible, causing expansion of labial cortical plate and mobility of teeth in a nine-year girl is presented. It was treated successfully by enucleation and curettage with satisfactory preservation of the continuity of mandible. Nine months post operatively, the child was rehabilitated with a temporary partial denture to improve esthetics, phonetics and function. One year clinical and radiographic follow up showed new bone formation and no evidence of recurrence.
Keywords: Curettage; Giant cell; Granuloma; Rehabilitation
- Jeyaraj P. Management of central giant cell granulomas of the jaws: An unusual case report with critical appraisal of existing literature. Ann Maxillofac Surg 2019;9:37-47
- Bahbah S, Dghoughi S, Chhoul H, El Wady W. Central giant cell granuloma in a child: case report. Int J odonto stomatol 2016:393-397
- Dean, JA, David, RA, Ralph, EM. McDonald and Avery’s Dentistry for the child and adolescent. 10th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier 2016
- Ferretti C, Muthray E. Management of central giant cell granuloma of mandible using intralesional corticosteroids: case report and review of literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;69:2824-2829
- Neville BW, Damn DD, Allen CM, Bouqot JE. Text book Of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2002
- Schatz JP, Bernard JP, Byloff FK, Samson J. Conservative surgical and orthodontic management of a child with central giant cell granuloma. Int J Paediatr Dent 1995;5:35-41
- Balaji P, Balaji SM. Central giant cell granuloma – A case report. Indian J Dent Res 2019;30:130-132
- Masih U, Kour G, Mahay P, Joshi S. Central giant cell granuloma: A rare clinical entity. Int J Pedod Rehabil 2017; 2:41-45
- Chavis SE, Shrikian TM, Haerian A, Edwards SP, Munz SM. Coordinated pediatric reconstruction and rehabilitation of maxillary central giant cell granuloma: A case report. J Am Dent Assoc 2018;149:1065-1072.
- Jacoway JR. Central giant cell granuloma –an alternative to surgical therapy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1988;66:572-575
- Mohanty S, Jhamb A. Central giant cell lesion of mandible managed by intralesional triamcinolone injections. A report of two cases and literature review. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2009;14:98-102
- Smriti K, John E, Pentapati KC, Gadicherla S, Bhagania M. Intra-Lesional Medicaments for the Management of Intra-Osseous Lesions of Maxilla and Mandible – Systematic Review. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2020:24;10:36-45
- Altan H, Altan A, Eragca R, Yildirim E, Akbulut N. Surgical treatment of central giant cell granuloma in child and follow-up for 18 months. Pediatr Dent J 2018:28;125-130
Contemp Pediatr Dent 2021:2(3)158-165
Received: 21 August 2021
Accepted: 7 October 2021
Online First: 12 Nov 2021
How to Cite
Mallayya C Hiremath, SK Srinath, Nihal R Kothari. Surgical management of central giant cell granuloma of mandible and prosthetic rehabilitation in a nine-year girl: A case report. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2021:2(3):158-165.