Does gestational nutrition affect the oral health of the new-born? An integrative review
The study aimed to investigate the association between gestational nutrition and the new-born oral health.
Gestational nutrition can affect oral health outcomes, acting as a protecting factor against pathologies such as defects in enamel development, cleft palate and risk of childhood caries.
Pediatric dentists should advise pregnant women regarding the effects of its nutrition on the child’s oral health.
Maternal nutrition and diet directly impact the development of the foetus. Thus, nutritional deficits, as well as maternal overweight or low weight, directly reflect the health of the new-born. Furthermore, maternal nutrition may be linked to the individual’s oral health outcome. Maternal nutrition is linked to the process of odontogenesis and the development of taste preferences in the child. Thus, the present study aimed to investigate the association between maternal nutrition and the infant’s oral health. An active search was performed in the following databases: PubMed, Scielo, Lilacs (Bireme), Web of Science, and Scopus, using the keywords “Breast Feeding”, “Nutrition” and “New-born”, associated with “Paediatric Dentistry”. Exclusion criteria based on time and document type were used to conduct the searches. A total of 634 studies underwent the filtering and selection process, resulting in 5 studies included in this review. Due to the small number of studies found, the development of new studies in the field of dentistry addressing the subject is suggested. Furthermore, it was observed that maternal nutrition influences the oral health of the baby, acting as a protective factor against oral pathologies.
Keywords: Child; Maternal Nutrition; Nutrition; Oral Health; Pediatric Dentistry
- FAO, IFAD, UNICEF, WFP and WHO. 2022. The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World 2022. Repurposing food and agricultural policies to make healthy diets more affordable. [Internet] 2023 [cited 2023 Apr 14]. Available from: fao.org/publications/home/fao-flagship-publications/the-state-of-food-security-and-nutrition-in-the-world/en
- Marshall NE, Abrams B, Barbour LA, Catalano P, Christian P, Friedman JE, et al. The importance of nutrition in pregnancy and lactation: lifelong consequences. Am J Obs Gynecol 2022;226:607-632
- Stoody EE, Spahn JM, Casavale KO. The Pregnancy and Birth to 24 Months Project : a series of systematic reviews on diet and health. Am J Clin Nutr 2019;109:685:697
- Raghavan R, Dreibelbis C, Kingshipp BL, Wong PY, Abrams B, Gernand AD, et al. Dietary patterns before and during pregnancy and birth outcomes : a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr 2019;109:729-756
- Koletzko B, Godfrey KM, Poston L, Szajewska H, Goudoever JB Van, Waard M De. Europe PMC Funders Group Nutrition during pregnancy , lactation , and early childhood and its implications for maternal and long-term child health : the EarlyNutrition Project recommendations. 2019;74:93-106
- Mour PS, Tolomeu O, Eliza M, Ramos-jorge ML. Is gestational diabetes mellitus associated with developmental defects of enamel in children ? A systematic review with meta-analysis. Arch Oral Biol J 2022;141:105488
- Tas JT Van Der, Elfrink MEC, Heijboer AC, Rivadeneira F, Jaddoe VWV, Tiemeier H, et al. Foetal , neonatal and child vitamin D status and enamel hypomineralization. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2018;46:343-35
- Tanaka K, Miyake Y, Sasaki S, Hirota Y. Dairy products and calcium intake during pregnancy and dental caries in children. Nutr J 2012;11:1-8
- Mahboobi Z, Pakdaman A, Yazdani R, Azadbakht L, Montazeri A. Dietary free sugar and dental caries in children : A systematic review on longitudinal studies. Health Promot Perspect 2021;11:271-280
- Ustun B., Reissland N., Covey J., Schaal B BJ. Flavour sensing in utero and emerging discriminative behaviours in the human fetus. Assoc Psychol Sci 2022;33:1651-1663
- Hermont AP, Zina LG, Martins-júnior PA, Mayra J. Revisões integrativas : conceitos , planejamento e execução. Arq Em Odontol 2022;57:3-7
- Ha DH, Nguyen H, Dao A, Golley RK, Thomson WM, Manton DJ, et al. Group-based trajectories of maternal intake of sugar-sweetened beverage and offspring oral health from a prospective birth cohort study. J Dent. 2022;122:104113
- Jahanbin A, Shadkam E, Miri HH, Shirazi AS, Abtahi M. Maternal folic acid supplementation and the risk of oral clefts in offspring. J Craniofac Surg 2018;29:534-541
- Carvalho MRG, Mrg C, One ES. ‘ One tooth one child ’: evaluating the effects of diet and fertility on the oral health of women from archaeological sites in South America. Eur J Oral Sci 2019;127:52-64
- Mahmassani HA, Switkowski KM, Scott TM, Johnson EJ, Rifas-shiman SL, Oken E. Maternal diet quality during pregnancy and child cognition and behavior in a US cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 2022;115:128-141
- Collignon A margaux, Vergnes J noël, Germa A, Azogui S. Factors and Mechanisms Involved in Acquired Developmental Defects of Enamel : A Scoping Review. Front Pediatr 2022;10:1-13
- Navarro CLA, Grgic O, Trajanoska K, van der Tas J T, Rivadeneira F, Wolvius E B, et al. Associations Between Prenatal, Perinatal, and Early Childhood Vitamin D Status and Risk of Dental Caries at 6 Years. J nutr. 2021;151:1993–2000
- Reed SG, Fan S, Wagner CL, Lawson AB. Predictors of Developmental Defects of Enamel in the Primary Maxillary Central Incisors using Bayesian Model Selection. MedRxiv 2022:2022.04.07.22273577
- Lipchock S V., Reed DR. The gustatory and olfactory systems during infancy: Implications for development of feeding behaviors in the high risk neonate. Clin Perinatol 2011;38:627-641
- Vigário MABC e A, Correia F, Poínhos R. Formação precoce das preferêncıas alımentares da crıança – conhecımentos da grávıda [Ms. Dissertation]. Faculdade de Ciências da Nutrição e Alimentação; Universidade do Porto. Porto 2014
- Abanto J. Impact of the first thousand days of life on dental caries through the life course : a transdisciplinary approach. Braz Oral Res 2022;36:1-14
Contemp Pediatr Dent 2023:4(2):39-45
Received: 31 March 2023
Accepted: 20 July 2023
Online First: 25 July 2023
How to Cite
Vitoria Gomes Alves, Eduarda Miho Kawabe, Victor Cavallaro Bottesini, Danilo Antonio Duarte. Does gestational nutrition affect the oral health of the new-born? An integrative review. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2023:4(2):39-45.