Evaluation of relationship between Enterobius vermicularis infection and bruxism in children
The relationship between E. vermicularis and bruxism, both important health issues, was evaluated in this study, using the BiteStrip® device.
Children with E. vermicularis had more severe bruxism than children without E. vermicularis, but the difference was not statistically significant.
BiteStrip® i can be used in children, developed to determine the activity of chewing muscles in the diagnosis of bruxism. It can be used to obtain comparable objective data in studies on bruxism.
Aim: To investigate the relationship between Enterobius vermicularis infection and bruxism in children. Methods: Twenty-six children (aged 3–10 years), who were systemically healthy, showed teeth-grinding at least once a week in the last 3 months, and applied to Aydın Adnan Menderes University Faculty of Medicine Hospital Child Gastroenterology Clinic were recruited and allocated into two groups: positive for E. vermicularis infection (Group 1, n = 13); negative for E. vermicularis infection (Group 2, n = 13). The children were examined clinically, and a survey was administered, to be filled in by the children’s parents. BiteStrip was used to determine the level of bruxism. Results: Sixteen males (mean age: 7.3±1.6 years) and 10 females (mean age: 7.3±2.4) were included in the study. There was no significant difference between genders. Severe bruxism occurred in 46.2% and 30.8% of Groups 1 and 2, respectively. No significant correlation existed between E. vermicularis infection and BiteStrip scores. Conclusions: Enterobius vermicularis infection did not affect the occurrence of bruxism in the paediatric population evaluated.
Keywords: Bruxism; Child; Enterobius vermicularis; Parasites
- Díaz-Serrano KV, da Silva CBA, de Albuquerque S, Pereira Saraiva MC, Nelson-Filho P. Is there an association between bruxism and intestinal parasitic infestation in children? J Dent Child 2008;75:276-279
- Karakis D, Dogan A, Bek B. Evaluation of the effect of two different occlusal splints on maximum occlusal force in patients with sleep bruxism: a pilot study. J Adv Prosthodont 2014;6:103-108
- Mistry P, Moles DR, O’Neill J, Noar J. The occlusal effects of digit sucking habits amongst school children in Northamptonshire (UK). J Orthod 2010 37: 87-92
- Yazgan S, Çetinkaya Ü, Şahin İ. The Investigation of Prevalence of Enterobius vermicularis (L.1758) in Primary School Age Children and Its Relation to Various Symptoms. Turkiye Parazitol Derg 2015;39:98-102
- Tehrani MHN, Pestechian N, Yousefi H, Sekhavati H, Attarzadeh H. The correlation between intestinal parasitic infections and bruxism among 3-6 year-old children in Isfahan. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2010; 7:51-55
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. International Classification of Sleep Disorders, Revised: Diagnostic and Coding Manual. Chicago, IL: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2001:182–185
- Bortoletto CC, da Silva FC, Salgueiro MCC, et al. Evaluation of electromyographic signals in children with bruxism before and after therapy with Melissa officinalis L. a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Phys Ther Sci 2016;28:738-742
- Shochat T, Gavish A, Arons E, et al. Validation of the BiteStrip screener for sleep bruxism. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104:32-39
- Çapan Ö, Çapan E, Ersu R, Kıyan E, Kılıçoğlu H. Examination the Effect of Monoblock Appliance on Sleep Bruxism in Children with Obstructive Sleep Apnea or Primary Snoring. Turk J Orthod 2015;1:45-49
- Emodi-Perlman A, Eli I, Friedman-Rubin P, Goldsmith C, Reiter S, Wincur E. Bruxism, oral parafunctions, anamnestic and clinical findings of temporomandibular disorders in children. J Oral Rehabil 2012;39:126-135
- Halk Saglığı Genel Müdürlüğü. [Internet] 2020 [cited 2022 Jul 14]. Available from: http://mikrobiyoloji.thsk.saglik.gov.tr/ums/E/Enterobiyaz.pdf.
- Johansson A, Haraldson T, Omar R, Kiliaridis S, Carlsson GE. A system for assessing the severity and progression of occlusal tooth wear. J Oral Rehabil 1993;20:125-131
- Uchida H, Wada J, Watanabe C, Nagayama T, Mizutani K, Mikami R, Inukai S, Wakabayashi N. Effect of night dentures on tooth mobility in denture wearers with sleep bruxism: a pilot randomized controlled trial. J Prosthodont Res 2021 Nov 16. doi: 10.2186/jpr.JPR_D_21_00230
- Kolcakoglu K, Amuk M, Sirin Sarıbal G. Evaluation of mandibular trabecular bone by fractal analysis on panoramic radiograph in paediatric patients with sleep bruxism. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2022 Feb 07. doi: 10.1111/ipd.12956
- Kolcakoglu K, Dogan S, Tulga Oz F, Aydınbelge M. A Comparison of Hard and Soft Occlusal Splints for the Treatment of Nocturnal Bruxism in Children Using the BiteSTRIP®. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2022;1;219-224
- Karakis D, Dogan A. The craniofacial morphology and maximum bite force in sleep bruxism patients with signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders. Cranio 2015;33:32-37
- Van Wyk JA, Van Rensburg LJ, Heitmann LP. Schistosoma matthei infection in cattle: the course of the intestinal syndrome, and an estimate of the lethal dose of cercariae. Onderstepoort J Vet Res 1997;64:65-75
- Menezes AL, Lima VMP, Freitas MTS, Rocha MO, Silva EF, Dolabella SS. Prevalence of intestinal parasites in children from public daycare centers in the city of Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 2008;50:57-59
- Jacobsen KH, Ribeiro PS, Quist BK, Rydbeck BV. Prevalence of intestinal parasites in young Quichua children in the highlands of rural Ecuador. J Health Popul Nutr 2007;25:399-405
- Rashid M, Rashid S, Rahman A. Prevalence of intestinal parasitoses in urban and rural children of a developing country. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2011;1: 268-270
- Delialioğlu N, Aslan G, Öztürk C, Çamdeviren H, Emekdaş G. Total Serum IgE Levels in Children with Enterobiasis. Turkiye Parazitol Derg 2005;29: 180-182
- Strausz T, Ahlberg J, Lobbezoo F, et al. Awareness of tooth grinding and clenching from adolescence to young adulthood: a nine-year follow-up. J Oral Rehabil 2010;37: 497-500
- Ekfeldt A, Hugoson A, Bergendal T, Helkimo M. An individual tooth wear index and an analysis of factors correlated to incisal and occlusal wear in an adult Swedish population. Acta Odontol Scand 1990;48: 343-349
- Marbach JJ, Raphael KG, Dohrenwend BP, Lennon MC. The validity of tooth grinding measures: etiology of pain dysfunction syndrome revisited. J Am Dent Assoc 1990; 120: 327-333
- Lavigne GJ, Rompre PH, Montplaisir JY. Sleep bruxism: validity of clinical research diagnostic criteria in a controlled polysomnographic study. J Dent Res 1996; 75: 546-552
- Lavigne GJ, Khoury S, Abe S, Yamaguchi T, Raphael K. Bruxism physiology and pathology: an overview for clinicians. J Oral Rehabil 2008; 35: 476-494
- Pereira-Cenci T, Pereira LJ, Cenci MS, Bonachela WC, Del Bel Cury AA. Maximal bite force and its association with temporomandibular disorders. Braz Dent J 2007;18: 65-68
- Pezzani BC, Minvielle MC, de Luca MM, Córdoba MA, Apezteguia MC, Basualdo JA. Enterobius vermicularis infection among population of General Mansilla, Argentina. World J Gastroenterol 2004;10: 2535-2539
- Van’t Spijker A, Kreulen CM, Creugers NHJ. Attrition, occlusion, (dys)function, and intervention: a systematic review [published errata appear in Clin Oral Impl Res 2008; 19: 326-328]. Clin Oral Impl Res 2007; 18: 117-126
- Abe S, Yamaguchi T, Rompré ́ PH, De Grandmont P, Yunn-Jy C, Lavigne GJ. Tooth wear in young subjects: a discriminator between sleep bruxers and controls? Int J Prosthodont 2009;22: 342-350
- Lussi A, Kohler N, Zero D, Schaffner M, Megert B. A comparison of the erosive potential of different beverages in primary and permanent teeth using an in vitro model. Eur J Oral Sci 2000;108: 110-114
- Bader G, Lavigne G. Sleep bruxism; an overview of an oromandibular sleep movement disorder: review article Sleep Med Rev 2000;4: 27-43
- de Souza Barbosa T, Miyakoda LS, de Liz Pocztaruk R, Rocha CP, Gavião MBD. Temporomandibular disorders and bruxism in childhood and adolescence: review of the literature. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2008; 72: 299-314
Contemp Pediatr Dent 2022:3(2):61-72
Received: 25 March 2022
Accepted: 04 August 2022
Online First: 12 August 2022
How to Cite
Kadriye Görkem Ulu Güzel, Özge Şentürk, Yavuz Tokgöz. Evaluation of relationship between Enterobius vermicularis infection and bruxism in children. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2022:3(2):61-72.