Modified Halterman Appliance for management of ectopically erupting permanent molar: A case report
Early diagnosis and treatment of ectopic eruption has to be done as an integral part of interceptive orthodontics to prevent molar malposition and arch length loss.
Modified Halterman appliance was constructed by incorporating cross-arch anchorage with a distal extension engaging chain elastic from occlusion button on permanent molar.
This case report shows that this appliance is effective in achieving distalization of ectopically erupting permanent molar in a mixed dentition period.
Ectopic eruption is a disturbance in the eruptive path of a tooth in an abnormal position leading to many local problems, such as premature loss of the second primary molars, space loss, increased prevalence of dental caries, supra-eruption of the opposing molars, a mesial inclination of the permanent maxillary first molars, and class II molar relationship. The present case report describes the management of an ectopically erupting mandibular first molar in an 8-year-old child with a modified Halterman appliance. Halterman appliance was modified by incorporating cross-arch anchorage. Follow-up was carried out at 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 9 months until distalization of the molar was achieved. Space analysis was carried out and a fixed functional space maintainer was cemented which was followed up at 12 months. According to the present case report, a modified Halterman appliance is an effective appliance in achieving distalization of an ectopically erupting permanent molar in a mixed dentition period.
Keywords: Ectopic Eruption; Orthodontic Appliance; Tooth Uprighting
- Chapman H. First upper permanent molar partially impacted against second deciduous molar. Int J Orthod Oral Surg and Radio 1923;9:339–345
- Kennedy DB. Clinical tips for the halterman appliance. Pediatr Dent 2007;29:327–339
- Sultan S, Telgi CR, Chaudhary S, Manuja N, Sinha AA. Management of an ectopically erupted permanent mandibular first molar: A review and case report. J Interdiscip Dentistry 2021;11:78-83
- Young DH. Ectopic eruption of the first permanent molar. J Dent Child 1957;24:153–162
- Noueiri B, Ambriss B, Moukarzel C. Management of Bilateral Ectopically Erupting Maxillary Molars: A Case Report. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent 2019;12:153–156
- Flores-Mir C, McGrath L, Heo G, Major PW. Efficiency of molar distalization associated with second and third molar eruption stage a systematic review. Angle Orthod 2013;83:735–742
- Yaseen SM, Naik S, Uloopi KS. Ectopic eruption – A review and case report.Contemp Clin Dent 2011;2:3–7
- Mahfouz M. Stainless steel double loop appliance to correct ectopically positioned maxillary permanent first molar. Open J Stomatol 2014;04:92–98
- Badakar CM, Kathariya MD, Shashibhushan KK, Sathyajith NN. Management of bilateral ectopically erupting mandibular molars using Humprey’s appliance a case report. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent 2014;4:58-64
- Profitt WR, Fields HW, Larson BE, Sarver DM. Diagnosis and Treatment Planning. Contemporary Orthodontics.6th Ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier;2012
- Naik SV, Priyadarshini D, Ali MS, N Basappa, OS Raju. Esthetic Rehabilitation by Fiber-reinforced Composite space maintainer for Anterior Missing Teeth in pediatric patient: A Case Report. Eur J Pharm Med Res. 2022;9:457-461
Contemp Pediatr Dent 2023:4(1):32-38
Received: 19 March 2023
Accepted: 26 April 2023
Online First: 27 April 2023
How to Cite
Saraswathi V Naik, Simin Kittur, Basappa Nadig, Sindhushree GS, Amitha M Shagale. Modified Halterman Appliance for management of ectopically erupting permanent molar: A case report. Contemp Pediatr Dent 2023:4(1):32-38.